Saturday, August 25, 2012

Getting Started

So, this is my travel blog. Right now I am studying abroad in Beijing and trying my hand at becoming proficient in Chinese. We will see how this goes.

The plane ride was 14 hours long. I watched five movies and my eyes were bugging out by the end. Some were good!
List of good movies I watched in order of preference:
-The Bucket List
-The Avengers
-Captain America
List of movies I didn't like:
-The 5 Year Engagement - depressing
-Haywire - what was going on in that movie. It was so disjointed and nothing was explained and everything was terrible. I did appreciate that the main character was actually a trained MMA fighter before she fell from grace into being an actress, though.

View from the plane when we were about 30 minutes from Peking airport



IES staff met me at the airport. We waited for a while to collect the other people who were arriving around the same time. I met a few people. We took a bus to the university.



Tonight is the end of the first full day, which consisted of going to a Chinese supermarket to buy supplies and several lectures on living in China and the ecological footprint. I took the placement test, which did not go well, but hopefully the professors will understand that everyone is still exhausted from jet lag. After dinner, we had some sort of ice breaker programs. These were pretty fun. There were several rotations. Most of them were just games where you try to learn the other peoples' names, but some were weird and fun. Like charades. I had to act out a panda riding a bicycle. How are you supposed to act out a panda? Or the Great Wall? Or Confucius? Anyway. One of the games was called "Chinese, my Ass" where you had to write out characters with your butt (yup) and your teammates had to guess the characters you were trying to write. In the air. With your butt. This was pretty difficult. There was one more where you closed your eyes, and picked a number between 1 and 6. The lower the number, the simpler the food. I picked 2 since I was being wimpy, and I got cucumber flavored potato chips. 1 was strawberry/grape oreos, 3 was some sort of cherry candy, 4 was some pickled vegetable, 5 was dried fish with hot sauce, and 6 was pickled chicken bones. They had chicken feet at one point, but weirdly enough they ran out.

In terms of food: breakfast was something called shouzhuaba (I think), which was some sort of pancake with a fried egg, bacon, lettuce, thousand island dressing, and hot sauce. Really yummy.
Sorry for the blurry picture.



For lunch we all went to a restaurant somewhere, and they just brought out some food for us. Most of it I had no idea what it was, but there were some spicy green beans, lotus root, a bunch of meat dishes and some tofu. Everything was really tasty.

For dinner we got pizza. China!

Bonus blurry picture: next of the supermarket there was a hair salon. All of the employees were outside dancing/exercising to music. It was adorable. And they all had really great hair.


The group of people to the right of the sign who are waving their hands in the air.

Welp, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment